VECTOR Radio Skills Course
This four week course is a natural follow-on to obtaining your Amateur Radio Certificate of Proficiency. We cover topics of interest to any amateur radio emergency communications operator including:
- Phonetics, pro-words, net formats and procedures
- Radiograms, general message forms (ICS-213) and other messaging formats
- Introduction to the VECTOR / Vancouver EOC Radio Room
- Emergency Activation Protocols
- APRS for events and emergency use
- How VECTOR uses HF for emergency communications
- Introduction to the VECTOR Grab and Go Kit
- Packet Radio operation
- Personal preparedness
- Tips on obtaining your first (or second) radio
Held one evening a week, students will be paired up as partners for extra-curricular one on one radio contacts. The class also features an instructional net each week.
- Availability: VECTOR Members Only
- Offered: Annually in the spring leading up to Field Day in June and in mid-fall.
The genesis of the VECTOR Radio Skills Course is captured in this feature article in The Canadian Amateur magazine published by Radio Amateurs of Canada.