P223.1: Data and Packet Setup Night
To learn about using packet radio and/or share your experiences with others. Good for just starting out with data or helping others get going.
Format: 45 minute hands-on session
You’ll learn the most if you can bring your own laptop, radio and cable. If you would like to practice using VECTOR equipment, please contact the coach before attending the session.
Every attendeed installs and configures the packet radio clients VECTOR uses, then practises sending and receiving messages.
A hands-on session, 45 minutes at E-COMM Media Room.
- Set up Winlink Express on a computer
- Set up VCTPacket on a computer
- Discuss VCTPacket Guide
- Send and receive a few messages
Prepare at home:
- Download software packages
- Get an account with Winlink.org
Download software packages
Packet Documentation and Software for members
- Support file possibly needed for Windows install vcredist_x86.exe - Supplementary file
- Winlink Express (choose the latest Winlink_Express_install_xxxxx.zip file) - A globally available email-like packet messaging system; used at the EOC to communicate with outside agencies, we encourage members to download and become familiar with its operation; no radio connection is required to get going.
- Winlink.org “Book of Knowledge”
- Installing Pat on Linux - some of us connect using Pat, a cross platform command line and HTTP client for Winlink
- Get WOAD for your Android device
Get account with Winlink.org
Exclusive for amateur radio operators: [email protected].
- Email Winlink over radio through client software such as Winlink Express (OR use the form in Winlink Express over Telnet). Help: Basic Configuration covers the details. Write your password and recovery email address in the message without using your password to connect.
- Connect once more to Winlink without your password to get your confirmation message.
- Put your password into your client software settings. You will need your password to log in from now on.