VECTOR June 2023 News
Posted in newsletter
Previous newsletters can be found in the archive.
1. Coming Meeting | 2. News | 3. Learn | 4. On Air | 5. Notable | 6. Secondaries | 7. Meetings
1. Coming Meeting
Our next members' meeting will be held Wednesday, June 7, at E-COMM and online using Zoom.
Detailed agenda included in e-mail to members.
2. Community News - What’s Coming
- BCARCC and Industry Canada Update
- May 27 DSA Report
- DSA3 Reconfiguration
- 12 people for Joint Field Day
- Celebration of Light preparations
- Pride Run and Walk planning
- Tech Topics Thursday
- Coffee Meetups and Future Gatherings
- Pacific NW DX Conference: August in New Westminster
- DEEP DSH Exercise Connections
BCARCC and Industry Canada Update
- BCARCC minutes and reports
- Innovation Science and Economic Development report
- Harondel VA7MCZ, Lower Mainland Coordinator
- VECTOR delegates to BCARCC: Russell VE7MTU, Tamara VA7ETR, Prem VA7PMK, Jesse VE7DET
May 27 DSA Report
- 15 members successfully exercised the 5 currently active DSAs
- VEMA accepted the final health assessment report on May 30
- next technical tasks identified for future visits
- Darryl VA7DPO for future opportunties
DSA3 Reconfiguration Underway
- Equipment storage system and workspace upgraded
- DSA caretakers team planning how to re-organize the radios in the new layout
- DSA3 exercise possible this summer
12 people for Joint Field Day
- 12 members came forward for Joint Field Day at Blue Mountain
- VECTOR to lead the learning tent, with VHF grab and go kits, etc.
- 12 to immediately sign up directly on the Logistics sheet; pick where and how to participate including booking spots for HF operation
- Army bringing one of their trucks, food, and a few personnel
- Meet June 14 at 19:00 in Radio Room
- Jump here, for links to sheet, Discord, and more
Celebration of Light preparations
- We only have 15 people signed up for 25 roles on each night
- We need some members as field observers for the transit stations after the events
- Primary shifts from 16:00 to 23:00
- Day 1 Sign up pick your shift
- Help make sure we are ready Logistics
Pride Run and Walk planning
- Volunteers receive Race Crew t-shirt and lunch
- Operate as net control, route observer, or with an event organizer
- Sign up for morning shift on July 23
Tech Topics Thursday
Coffee Meetups and Future Gatherings
- Season winding down on June 17, last call for City Square meetup
- What do you want to do next?
Pacific NW DX Conference: August in New Westminster
- OrcaDX hosting major conference on August 11-13
- Join in at New Westminster Quay
DEEP DSH Exercise Connections
- Anthony VE7XAK connected with DEEP’s radio lead at May 27 exercise
- Representative from Kits seniors interested in ramping up crew at Kits
Your response matters for Civic Event Planning
To effectively serve at public events, we must know how many operators can serve.
- COL - Celebration of Light (July 22, July 26, July 29) - One or more nights?
- Frontrunners Run-Walk (July 23) - Join the crew for the morning?
- Pride Parade (August 6) - Join the crew for the morning?
If you see other events that need us, please let us know.
Help with, Work On, and Learn about
Civic Events Observer. Shadow and take notes with Jordan for Jesse'. [Express interest](mailto: [email protected]?subject=Civic%20Events%20Shadow)
Radio Room Sunday Mornings. Radios, feedlines, antennas, and on-air testing that keep our radio room ready. Express interest.
Microwave Link (High-speed Data) project resuming. Gear and systems for HamWAN, AREDN, and dish antennas. Express interest.
Give as much commitment as fits your life as a helper to finish jobs
3. Upcoming Training & Practice Opportunities
- Net Control - Email Andrew VA7YAA
- Key Files
- EmComm Skills Notes
- Updating Learning Program - best learning at monthly drills
4. On Air Radio Activities
Get to know other members on air - Friday Nights at 20:00 on VE7RVF
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
- Please take your shot leading as net controller for one night
- Connect to around 15 fellow operators (from 8 to 35 people any day)
- Remember to identify your signal
- your call sign at both the beginning and end of each period of communication
- per RBR-4 — Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the Amateur Radio Service section 9.3
- even a casual net gives time to practice good procedures
Practise with VECTOR Winlink Gateway - 441.025 MHz simplex
- Give it a shot Time Estimate: 15 minutes
Keep Formal Net Skills Sharp on Weekly Net - 20:00 weekly on Wednesdays, VE7TEL
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
Checking in on Wednesdays stretches a few less-used skills. Details below in 6. Weekly Nets.
5. Announcements, Notables, etc.
- DEEP’s Event recordings: posted online
6. Weekly Net
Catch the weekly net at 20:00 every Wednesday on the VE7TEL repeater: VECTOR channel 2, 145.170 MHz -600 kHz.
Each week, a secondary net follows on a different frequency, providing opportunities for amateur radio operators to test radios using other bands and modes of operation.
Schedule for upcoming secondary net frequencies:
|June 07||44||146.430 MHz|
|June 14||20||147.200 MHz +600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
|June 21||7||147.450 MHz T100.0 Hz simplex|
|June 28||4||146.580 MHz simplex|
|July 05||1||145.450 MHz -600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
7. Monthly Members' Meetings
VECTOR gathers on the first Wednesday of each month to keep its operations flowing. Connect in our Zoom virtual space unless otherwise noted.
The next 4 Monthly Members' Meeting dates:
- June 7 - 18:30 (ECOMM)
- July 5 - 18:30 (location pending)
- August 2 - 18:30 (location pending)
- September 6 - 18:30 (location pending)
Connect with others before and after the main session:
- Join early (15 minutes) at 18:15
- Hang around after (20 minutes) until roughly 20:50
- We’ll have breakout areas available
Please find the link to the Zoom online conference room in your email edition of the newsletter for joining remotely or on your BetterImpact homepage. You can sign up for upcoming members' meetings in BetterImpact to log your meeting time automatically.
Tnx es 73,
VE7DET || Jessé Neri, President (he|him)
VA7DPO || Darryl Pogue, Vice President (he|him)
Traditional and unceded territories of the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh), and Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilwətaɁɬ) peoples.