VECTOR January 2022 News
Posted in newsletter
Previous newsletters can be found in the archive.
1. Coming Meeting | 2. News | 3. Learn | 4. On Air | 5. Notable | 6. Secondaries | 7. Meetings
1. Coming Meeting
Our next members' meeting will be held January 5, online using Zoom.
We meet to: Set compass for year and choose operating hypothesis about emerging conditions taking us to April.
Afterward, we hope for:
- Updated VECTOR goals for the current context
- Understanding our way forward for the next 3 months
- Sharing volunteering opportunities in January and February
2. Community News - What’s Coming
- Greg VE7GGH Silent Key - November 2021
- Ponder holding Backyards On The Air in Vancouver
- VECTOR denied grants for 2022; try again 2023
- Understanding Risk BC 2021 Speaker Videos Ready
- Winlink a key tool in disaster response
- West Coast AREDN active - high-speed data
- COVID-19 Update
- How do you want to help? (opportunities)
Greg VE7GGH Silent Key - November 2021
Greg Galbraith-Hamilton joined VECTOR in 2019 as a new operator.
It was evident that Greg really enjoyed getting on the air and being a part of the amateur radio community. He was very active on the local nets and in his time with VECTOR he participated in the Radio Skills Course to continue his learning and become an even better operator. He also joined several of us for a data setup session just days before our in-person activities were suspended because of COVID. His contributions to our organization will be missed, as will his voice and friendship in the wider community.
Ponder holding Backyards On The Air in Vancouver
- Would you operate portable from your back yard to make contacts?
- Operators in other countries had fun doing it last year (New Zealand, USA)
VECTOR denied grants for 2022; try again 2023
- VECTOR has some homework overdue from 2017 and 2019
- Commission considers VECTOR unrestricted (un-assigned) reserves too large to qualify as a needy organization
Understanding Risk BC 2021 Speaker Videos Ready
- Online one-day resilience roundtable caps off dialogues and seminars from 2020
- Explore living in hazardous areas: the Lower Mainland Flood Management Strategy, the new Emergency Program Act (EPA), Climate Preparedness and Adaptation Strategy (CPAS), and more.
Winlink a key tool in disaster response for communities
- Walnut Creek sends Windshield Damage Assessments over Winlink (read the T3 slides)
- Andrew VA7YAA or VECTOR Data Setup and Data Practice workshops for more
West Coast AREDN active - high-speed data
- Patrick VA7FI made a resource for local High-speed Data: Learn more
VECTOR COVID-19 Update - Volunteers Vaccinated
- Restrictions Updated - December 24
- BC Plan updated December 17
- Community centres serve as example for how to behave at all city sites: wear masks indoors, carry your VECTOR Identification and BC Vaccine Card
Use Jitsi for pop-up meetings when you need to share screens
Thank you for being a protector for people in our communities who could suffer from the impacts of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Dr. Bonnie Henry, BC Provincial Health Officer:
“Be kind, be calm, and be safe.”
How do you want to help?
Give as much commitment as fits your life as a helper to finish jobs
Please respond to the 2021 survey so we can make finding cool, meaningful volunteer work easier for you.
3. Upcoming Training & Practice Opportunities
- Review Learning Program
- Dive into Exercises
- Radio Skills - Register now
- Tech Nights
- Net Control - Email Andrew VA7YAA
- Key Files
- EmComm Skills Notes
4. On Air Radio Activities
Connect Casually Any Night - 19:05 nightly on VE7RVF
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
- Members have run these nets for over 520 nights (since 2020-04-01) (except for 2021-07-25 when there was no net controller available)
- Please take your shot leading as net controller for one night
- Nightly Net Controller chooses a question or topic to inspire sharing (anything from radio to food to entertainment to no topic at all)
- Connect to around 15 fellow operators (from 8 to 35 people any day)
- Remember to identify your signal
- your call sign at both the beginning and end of each period of communication
- per RBR-4 — Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the Amateur Radio Service section 9.3
- even a casual net gives time to practice good procedures
Practise with VECTOR Winlink Gateway - 441.025 MHz simplex
- Give it a shot Time Estimate: 15 minutes
Keep Formal Net Skills Sharp on Weekly Net - 20:00 weekly on Wednesdays, VE7TEL
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
Checking in on Wednesdays stretches a few less-used skills. Details below in 6. Weekly Nets.
How ready are you for bi-monthly drills?
Time Estimate: 2 hours
- Opportunity to do an exercise every other month on VECTOR gear
- How much would you like to cross-train with ESS or NEAT on a couple?
[Connect to the Drills and Exercises Team][mailRocky] [mailRocky]: mailto:[email protected]?subject=Upcoming%20On-air%20Activities?
5. Announcements, Notables, etc.
Trout Lake has Olympic heavy kit 2021-12-09 - 6/6 Tier 1 sites outfitted ( Learn more)
Radio Room computers updated to Windows 10 - David VE7ET has upgraded all VECTOR computers in the radio room
VE7SAR Communicator - Amateur news edited by former VECTOR president John Schouten
109 Members Paid Dues already - earliest 95% membership with dues paid since 2014
71 Members Fully Fit for Duty - 15 members still confirming vaccinated state
Get to know other members on air - Nightly Check in and Chat
6. Weekly Net
Catch the weekly net at 20:00 every Wednesday on the VE7TEL repeater: VECTOR channel 2, 145.170 MHz -600 kHz.
Each week, a secondary net follows on a different frequency, providing opportunities for amateur radio operators to test radios using other bands and modes of operation.
Schedule for upcoming secondary net frequencies:
|January 05||44||146.430 MHz|
|January 12||20||147.200 MHz +600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
|January 19||7||147.450 MHz T100.0 Hz simplex|
|January 26||4||146.580 MHz simplex|
|February 02||1||145.450 MHz -600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
7. Monthly Members' Meetings
VECTOR gathers on the first Wednesday of the next 3 months to keep its operations flowing. Connect in our Zoom virtual space unless otherwise noted.
The next 3 Monthly Members' Meeting dates:
- January 05 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
- February 02 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
- March 02 - first week, 18:30 online
Connect with others before and after the main session:
- Join early (15 minutes) at 18:15
- Hang around after (20 minutes) until roughly 20:50
- We’ll have breakout areas available
Please find the link to the Zoom online conference room in your email edition of the newsletter for joining remotely or on your BetterImpact homepage. You can sign up for upcoming members' meetings in BetterImpact to log your meeting time automatically.
Tnx es 73,
VE7DET || Jessé Neri, President (he|him)
VA7DPO || Darryl Pogue, Vice President (he|him)
Traditional and unceded territories of the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh), and Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilwətaɁɬ) peoples.