VECTOR March 2022 News
Posted in newsletter
Previous newsletters can be found in the archive.
1. Coming Meeting | 2. News | 3. Learn | 4. On Air | 5. Notable | 6. Secondaries | 7. Meetings
1. Coming Meeting
Our next members' meeting will be held Wednesday, March 2, online using Zoom.
Detailed agenda included in e-mail to members.
2. Community News - What’s Coming
- VECTOR COVID-19 Update - Week 102
- Sun Run 2022
- Disaster Response Routes identification program discontinued
VECTOR COVID-19 Update - Week 102
Current update edited for latest information, 2022-02-22.
Sun Run 2022
Be part of the communications network for the 10 km long event and practice your operating skills.
Disaster Response Routes identification program discontinued
Authorities will now use other methods to clarify who gets to use Disaster Response Routes after activating the route restrictions. Details attached to newsletter.
How do you want to help?
Moving gear around to support DSA work
A DSA suffered from flooding during the super atmospheric river last autumn. We need volunteers to help with moving stuff from ECOMM to COMMS-1 to get the DSA restored.
Outfitting Laptops for Deployment
The 2022 laptops await new operating system images and testing.
Give as much commitment as fits your life as a helper to finish jobs
Get advice | Help a team | Get the code | Check our backlog
Please respond to the 2021 survey so we can make finding cool, meaningful volunteer work easier for you.
3. Upcoming Training & Practice Opportunities
- Review Learning Program - New Schedule coming pending Volunteer Hosts
- Dive into Exercises - New Schedule coming pending new crew
- Radio Skills - Register now
- Tech Nights - Holding for interest
- Net Control - Email Andrew VA7YAA
- Key Files
- EmComm Skills Notes
4. On Air Radio Activities
Local Nets | Program | Calendar | Jessé VE7DET | Team Page | Team Mail
Connect Casually Any Night - 19:05 nightly on VE7RVF
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
- Members have run these nets for over 520 nights (since 2020-04-01) (except for 2021-07-25 when there was no net controller available)
- Please take your shot leading as net controller for one night
- Nightly Net Controller chooses a question or topic to inspire sharing (anything from radio to food to entertainment to no topic at all)
- Connect to around 15 fellow operators (from 8 to 35 people any day)
- Remember to identify your signal
- your call sign at both the beginning and end of each period of communication
- per RBR-4 — Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the Amateur Radio Service section 9.3
- even a casual net gives time to practice good procedures
Practise with VECTOR Winlink Gateway - 441.025 MHz simplex
- Give it a shot Time Estimate: 15 minutes
Keep Formal Net Skills Sharp on Weekly Net - 20:00 weekly on Wednesdays, VE7TEL
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
Checking in on Wednesdays stretches a few less-used skills. Details below in 6. Weekly Nets.
How ready are you for quarterly drills?
Time Estimate: 1 hours
- Opportunity to do an exercise every third month on VECTOR gear
- Updated schedule pattern and duration after dialogue in February session
- How much would you like to cross-train with ESS or NEAT on a couple?
Connect to the Drills and Exercises Team
5. Announcements, Notables, etc.
Preparing home contents for earthquake - 40 minutes with Dr. Carlos Ventura, UBC EERF
RAC Amateur of 2021 - Hiroshi Takahashi VA7LET
VE7SAR Communicator - Amateur news edited by former VECTOR president John Schouten
Get to know other members on air - Nightly Check in and Chat
6. Weekly Net
Catch the weekly net at 20:00 every Wednesday on the VE7TEL repeater: VECTOR channel 2, 145.170 MHz -600 kHz.
Each week, a secondary net follows on a different frequency, providing opportunities for amateur radio operators to test radios using other bands and modes of operation.
Schedule for upcoming secondary net frequencies:
|March 02||44||146.430 MHz|
|March 09||20||147.200 MHz +600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
|March 16||7||147.450 MHz T100.0 Hz simplex|
|March 23||4||146.580 MHz simplex|
|March 30||1||145.450 MHz -600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
7. Monthly Members' Meetings
VECTOR gathers on the first Wednesday of the next 3 months to keep its operations flowing. Connect in our Zoom virtual space unless otherwise noted.
The next 3 Monthly Members' Meeting dates:
- April 06 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
- May 04 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
- June 01 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
Connect with others before and after the main session:
- Join early (15 minutes) at 18:15
- Hang around after (20 minutes) until roughly 20:50
- We’ll have breakout areas available
Please find the link to the Zoom online conference room in your email edition of the newsletter for joining remotely or on your BetterImpact homepage. You can sign up for upcoming members' meetings in BetterImpact to log your meeting time automatically.
Tnx es 73,
VE7DET || Jessé Neri, President (he|him)
VA7DPO || Darryl Pogue, Vice President (he|him)
Traditional and unceded territories of the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh), and Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilwətaɁɬ) peoples.