VECTOR February 2023 News
Posted in newsletter
Previous newsletters can be found in the archive.
1. Coming Meeting | 2. News | 3. Learn | 4. On Air | 5. Notable | 6. Secondaries | 7. Meetings
1. Coming Meeting
Our next members' meeting will be held Wednesday, February 1, at City Hall and online using Zoom.
Detailed agenda included in e-mail to members.
2. Community News - What’s Coming
- Field Day Core Crew Kick-off - January 25, City Hall, 18:30
- Bi-weekly Open Coffee - February 11, City Square Food Court, 10:30
- Tabletop Exercise with Zone C ESS
- Radio Room Sunday Mornings coming in March
- Learn to diagnose radio station issues?
- Gaming Grant $ 11 000
Field Day Core Crew Kick-off - January 25, City Hall, 18:30
Pick how we do Field Day this year. Focused session to choose section leads who will form the core crew so that we can prepare to come together for fun on 2023-06-24. See you on Floor 2, January 25 at 18:30.
Bi-weekly Open Coffee - February 11, City Square Food Court, 10:30
Casual meetup to get to know each other, others in the local radio community, and what each crew’s working on. Refer to Saturday mornings in our calendar.
Tabletop Exercise with Zone C ESS
We are working with the current Zone C ESS captain to hold a joint tabletop exercise in later February at Trout Lake community centre. More details.
Radio Room Sunday Mornings coming in March
Help Anthony VE7XAK and a few others tackle maintenance and improvements to systems in the radio room once a month on a Sunday Morning. More details
Learn to diagnose radio station issues?
You can learn how to debug your station. Let’s start a hands-on workshop!.
Gaming Grant $ 11 000
Community Gaming Grant Commission granted VECTOR $ 11 000 for radio equipment. We must request for funds to replace the CERV Bus through a different sector: Capital Projects. The project team is looking at alternative ways to get started while we prepare for the Capital Projects deadline.
How do you want to help?
Radio Room Sunday Mornings start in March
Come help with, work on, and learn about the radios, feedlines, antennas, and on-air testing that keep our radio room ready. Express interest.
Nightly Check-in and Chat team seeks new lead
Christin won’t have time next year to lead the nightly nets net control operators. The role of the lead: to help people pick up the role of net control so that we have a nightly check-in and chat.
Offer to take over. Christin has served for a year.
Background on the Check-in and Chat
- Resume work on the Microwave Link (High-speed Data) project
We have much of the gear, just need a few parts and three people to make it happen. Involves HamWAN, AREDN and dish antennas. Express interest.
- Give as much commitment as fits your life as a helper to finish jobs
Get advice | Help a team | Get the code | Check our backlog
3. Upcoming Training & Practice Opportunities
Holding for interest
- Tech Nights
- Voice Operator Practice
- Operator School in One Day
- Grab and Go Kit Hands On
- Data Setup, Get Started, and Play
- Radio Room Awareness
- DSA Awareness
4. On Air Radio Activities
Local Nets | Program | Calendar | Jessé VE7DET | Team Page | [Team Mail][mailRocky]
Winlink Thursdays: your chance to practice with others
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
- EmComm Training’s recorded Seminar about Winlink Thursdays
- EmComm Training is 1500 amateur operators across North America
- Take a shot at Winlink Thursdays
Get to know other members on air - 19:05 nightly on VE7RVF
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
- Members have run these nets since 2020-04-01
- Please take your shot leading as net controller for one night
- Nightly Net Controller chooses a question or topic to inspire sharing (anything from radio to food to entertainment to no topic at all)
- Connect to around 15 fellow operators (from 8 to 35 people any day)
- About the check-in and chat: origin
- Remember to identify your signal
- your call sign at both the beginning and end of each period of communication
- per RBR-4 — Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the Amateur Radio Service section 9.3
- even a casual net gives time to practice good procedures
Practise with VECTOR Winlink Gateway - 441.025 MHz simplex
- Give it a shot Time Estimate: 15 minutes
Keep Formal Net Skills Sharp on Weekly Net - 20:00 weekly on Wednesdays, VE7TEL
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
Checking in on Wednesdays stretches a few less-used skills. Details below in 6. Weekly Nets.
5. Announcements, Notables, etc.
- Kits Crew meetups - 2023-02-18, 10:00 Kitsilano Community Centre supports VECTOR using the Meeting Room one Saturday morning each month so that we can get to know each other, practice together, and learn the local equipment. Details in the website calendar
6. Weekly Net
Catch the weekly net at 20:00 every Wednesday on the VE7TEL repeater: VECTOR channel 2, 145.170 MHz -600 kHz.
Each week, a secondary net follows on a different frequency, providing opportunities for amateur radio operators to test radios using other bands and modes of operation.
Schedule for upcoming secondary net frequencies:
|January 25||44||146.430 MHz|
|February 01||20||147.200 MHz +600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
|February 08||7||147.450 MHz T100.0 Hz simplex|
|February 15||4||146.580 MHz simplex|
|February 22||1||145.450 MHz -600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
7. Monthly Members' Meetings
VECTOR gathers on the first Wednesday of each month to keep its operations flowing. Connect in our Zoom virtual space unless otherwise noted.
The next 4 Monthly Members' Meeting dates:
- February 1 - first Wednesday, 18:30 (City Hall, second floor)
- March 1 - first Wednesday, 18:30 (location pending)
- April 5 - 18:30 (location pending)
- May 3 - 18:30 (location pending)
Connect with others before and after the main session:
- Join early (15 minutes) at 18:15
- Hang around after (20 minutes) until roughly 20:50
- We’ll have breakout areas available
Please find the link to the Zoom online conference room in your email edition of the newsletter for joining remotely or on your BetterImpact homepage. You can sign up for upcoming members' meetings in BetterImpact to log your meeting time automatically.
Tnx es 73,
VE7DET || Jessé Neri, President (he|him)
VA7DPO || Darryl Pogue, Vice President (he|him)
Traditional and unceded territories of the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh), and Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilwətaɁɬ) peoples.