VECTOR September 2022 News
Posted in newsletter
Previous newsletters can be found in the archive.
1. Coming Meeting | 2. News | 3. Learn | 4. On Air | 5. Notable | 6. Secondaries | 7. Meetings
1. Coming Meeting
Our next members' meeting will be held Wednesday, September 7, online using Zoom.
Detailed agenda included in e-mail to members.
2. Community News - What’s Coming
September Basic Starts soon
Team on track for September 10, online. Advanced course postponed for in-person venue.
VE7RVZ upgraded to heavy-duty gear
Repeater upgraded from XPR 8400 to Quantar.
Volunteer Picnic next week (Tuesday)
2022-09-13, 17:30, 2h at Trout Lake
How do you want to help?
Making the CERV tent safe again
Until we can make the shelter over the CERV safe again, current plans must hold. We need 3 people to make sure it happens.
Meeting needed immediately once we have 3 people. Sign up
Forming a regular crew for working on tech
Logistics needs to resume working on keeping the gear going. Watch for the special meeting.
- Resume work on the Microwave Link (High-speed Data) project
We have much of the gear, just need a few parts and three people to make it happen.
- Outfit Laptops for Deployment
The 2022 laptops await new operating system images and testing.
- Give as much commitment as fits your life as a helper to finish jobs
3. Upcoming Training & Practice Opportunities
- Review Learning Program - New Schedule coming pending Volunteer Hosts
- Dive into Exercises - New Schedule coming pending new crew, meeting in April
- Radio Skills - Register now
- Net Control - Email Andrew VA7YAA
- Key Files
- EmComm Skills Notes
Holding for interest
- Tech Nights
- Voice Operator Practice
- Operator School in One Day
- Grab and Go Kit Hands On
- Data Setup, Get Started, and Play
- Radio Room Awareness
- DSA Awareness
4. On Air Radio Activities
Winlink Thursdays: your chance to practice with others
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
- EmComm Training’s recorded Seminar about Winlink Thursdays
- EmComm Training is 1500 amateur operators across North America
- Take a shot at Winlink Thursdays
Connect Casually Any Night - 19:05 nightly on VE7RVF
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
- Members have run these nets for over 789 nights (since 2020-04-01) (except for 2021-07-25 when there was no net controller available)
- Please take your shot leading as net controller for one night
- Nightly Net Controller chooses a question or topic to inspire sharing (anything from radio to food to entertainment to no topic at all)
- Connect to around 15 fellow operators (from 8 to 35 people any day)
- Remember to identify your signal
- your call sign at both the beginning and end of each period of communication
- per RBR-4 — Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the Amateur Radio Service section 9.3
- even a casual net gives time to practice good procedures
Practise with VECTOR Winlink Gateway - 441.025 MHz simplex
- Give it a shot Time Estimate: 15 minutes
Keep Formal Net Skills Sharp on Weekly Net - 20:00 weekly on Wednesdays, VE7TEL
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
Checking in on Wednesdays stretches a few less-used skills. Details below in 6. Weekly Nets.
How ready are you for a September drill?
Time Estimate: 1 hour
- Opportunity to do an exercise every third month on VECTOR gear
- VECTOR gear lives at 6 community centres, 6 DSAs, a few other places, and the radio room
- Updated schedule pattern and duration coming up
- How much would you like to cross-train with ESS or NEAT on a couple?
5. Announcements, Notables, etc.
Swap Meet - Westcoast Amateur Radio Association - 2022-09-25, Victoria:
- Reserve a vendor table for $20 before 2022-09-18
- Radioworks attending
- Alpha Antenna gift certificates
- Icom radio
- other gift certificates and goodies
- Talk-in 08:00 on VE7VIC, 146.840 MHz, Tone 100 Hz
- Details on the WARA website
Dunbar Earthquake and Emergency Preparedness needs neighbourhood volunteers
- 6 to 8 more volunteers to help with community work
- around 2 to 3 hours one evening per month, a couple hours for housekeeping at the Disaster Support Hub occasionally, and a couple of 4 to 5 hour training exercises per year
- Contact John
RATPAC Online Courses: https://groups.io/g/NewHams/message/579
Kerrisdale Earthquake and Emergency Preparedness is ramping up again
- We have partnered with the Kerrisdale Community Centre Society’s efforts to outfit a Disaster Support Hub with a VECTOR Vision Grab and Go Kit
- We have local opportunities for outreach and advising coming up soon!
ECUAD Student Researching Community Disaster and Emergency Communications
- Shraddha Kumbhar, Emily Carr University of Art and Design
- Lis VA7EVJ and Mike VE7WV have agreed to connect with Shraddha
- Have you ever been in a mass emergency? She may benefit from hearing from you, too
- Critical Response and Preparedness for Uncertain Futures
2022 Emergency Preparedness and Business Continuity Conference early-bird registration deadline 2022-09-15
- Conference connects people in community resilience, business continuity, emergency management, disaster risk reduction, emergency social services, and disaster response
- Register for 3 days ($850) or 1 day ($450)
VE7SAR Communicator - Amateur news edited by former VECTOR president John Schouten
Get to know other members on air - Nightly Check in and Chat
6. Weekly Net
Catch the weekly net at 20:00 every Wednesday on the VE7TEL repeater: VECTOR channel 2, 145.170 MHz -600 kHz.
Each week, a secondary net follows on a different frequency, providing opportunities for amateur radio operators to test radios using other bands and modes of operation.
Schedule for upcoming secondary net frequencies:
|September 07||44||146.430 MHz|
|September 14||20||147.200 MHz +600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
|September 21||7||147.450 MHz T100.0 Hz simplex|
|September 28||4||146.580 MHz simplex|
|October 05||1||145.450 MHz -600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
7. Monthly Members' Meetings
VECTOR gathers on the first Wednesday of each month to keep its operations flowing. Connect in our Zoom virtual space unless otherwise noted.
The next 4 Monthly Members' Meeting dates:
- September 07 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
- October 05 - first Wednesday, 18:30 (location pending)
- November 02 - first Wednesday, 18:30 (location pending)
- December 07 - Annual General Meeting, 18:30 (location pending)
Connect with others before and after the main session:
- Join early (15 minutes) at 18:15
- Hang around after (20 minutes) until roughly 20:50
- We’ll have breakout areas available
Please find the link to the Zoom online conference room in your email edition of the newsletter for joining remotely or on your BetterImpact homepage. You can sign up for upcoming members' meetings in BetterImpact to log your meeting time automatically.
Tnx es 73,
VE7DET || Jessé Neri, President (he|him)
VA7DPO || Darryl Pogue, Vice President (he|him)
Traditional and unceded territories of the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh), and Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilwətaɁɬ) peoples.