VECTOR April 2022 News
Posted in newsletter
Previous newsletters can be found in the archive.
1. Coming Meeting | 2. News | 3. Learn | 4. On Air | 5. Notable | 6. Secondaries | 7. Meetings
1. Coming Meeting
Our next members' meeting will be held Wednesday, April 6, online using Zoom.
Detailed agenda included in e-mail to members.
2. Community News - What’s Coming
- VECTOR COVID-19 Update - Week 108
- Retiring Saber radios
- VE7RVF upgraded to heavy-duty gear
- February Basic Completed, Anyone Up for Advanced?
- Ham Radio Crash Course
- QSO Today Virtual Ham Expo on-demand until April 18
VECTOR COVID-19 Update - Week 108
Current update edited for latest information, 2022-04-03.
Retiring Saber radios
VECTOR has many Saber radios and a couple of charging banks to retire.
VE7RVF upgraded to heavy-duty gear
Repeater upgraded from XPR 8400 to Quantar.
February Basic Completed, Anyone Up for Advanced?
February course had great turnout. Next run on September 10 in-person else online.
Ham Radio Crash Course
An inclusive community focused on normalizing ham radio, getting people licensed, having fun with everything the hobby has to offer, and keeping the bands alive.
QSO Today Virtual Ham Expo on-demand until April 18
Learn more about communications, amateur radio, and emerging uses for ham radio.
How do you want to help?
Moving gear around to support DSA work
Details in meeting summary.
Outfitting Laptops for Deployment
The 2022 laptops await new operating system images and testing.
Give as much commitment as fits your life as a helper to finish jobs
Please respond to the 2021 survey so we can make finding cool, meaningful volunteer work easier for you.
3. Upcoming Training & Practice Opportunities
- Review Learning Program - New Schedule coming pending Volunteer Hosts
- Dive into Exercises - New Schedule coming pending new crew, meeting in April
- Radio Skills - Register now
- Net Control - Email Andrew VA7YAA
- Key Files
- EmComm Skills Notes
Holding for interest
- Tech Nights
- Voice Operator Practice
- Operator School in One Day
- Grab and Go Kit Hands On
- Data Setup, Get Started, and Play
- Radio Room Awareness
- DSA Awareness
4. On Air Radio Activities
Connect Casually Any Night - 19:05 nightly on VE7RVF
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
- Members have run these nets for over 520 nights (since 2020-04-01) (except for 2021-07-25 when there was no net controller available)
- Please take your shot leading as net controller for one night
- Nightly Net Controller chooses a question or topic to inspire sharing (anything from radio to food to entertainment to no topic at all)
- Connect to around 15 fellow operators (from 8 to 35 people any day)
- Remember to identify your signal
- your call sign at both the beginning and end of each period of communication
- per RBR-4 — Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the Amateur Radio Service section 9.3
- even a casual net gives time to practice good procedures
Practise with VECTOR Winlink Gateway - 441.025 MHz simplex
- Give it a shot Time Estimate: 15 minutes
Keep Formal Net Skills Sharp on Weekly Net - 20:00 weekly on Wednesdays, VE7TEL
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
Checking in on Wednesdays stretches a few less-used skills. Details below in 6. Weekly Nets.
How ready are you for quarterly drills?
Time Estimate: 1 hours
- Opportunity to do an exercise every third month on VECTOR gear
- Updated schedule pattern and duration after dialogue in February session
- How much would you like to cross-train with ESS or NEAT on a couple?
5. Announcements, Notables, etc.
BCARCC AGM 2022-05-15 at 10AM on Zoom - Official Notice
Maple Ridge Swap Meet Returns 2022-05-01, Sunday 0730 - highlights include breakfast social, two technical presentations, sponsored raffle, and 50/50 draw at Pit Meadows Heritage Hall. Details. (John VA7JPM)
Live Disaster Support Hub Field Exercise - DEEP at Dunbar Salmonberry Days 2022
Building Codes and earthquake performance - 40 minutes with Dr. Carlos Ventura, UBC EERF - Dunbar Earthquake and Emergency Preparedness
Preparing home contents for earthquake - 40 minutes with Dr. Carlos Ventura, UBC EERF - Dunbar Earthquake and Emergency Preparedness
RAC Amateur of 2021 - Hiroshi Takahashi VA7LET
VE7SAR Communicator - Amateur news edited by former VECTOR president John Schouten
Get to know other members on air - Nightly Check in and Chat
6. Weekly Net
Catch the weekly net at 20:00 every Wednesday on the VE7TEL repeater: VECTOR channel 2, 145.170 MHz -600 kHz.
Each week, a secondary net follows on a different frequency, providing opportunities for amateur radio operators to test radios using other bands and modes of operation.
Schedule for upcoming secondary net frequencies:
|April 06||44||146.430 MHz|
|April 13||20||147.200 MHz +600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
|April 20||7||147.450 MHz T100.0 Hz simplex|
|April 27||4||146.580 MHz simplex|
|May 04||1||145.450 MHz -600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
7. Monthly Members' Meetings
VECTOR gathers on the first Wednesday of the next 3 months to keep its operations flowing. Connect in our Zoom virtual space unless otherwise noted.
The next 3 Monthly Members' Meeting dates:
- May 04 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
- June 01 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
- July 06 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
Connect with others before and after the main session:
- Join early (15 minutes) at 18:15
- Hang around after (20 minutes) until roughly 20:50
- We’ll have breakout areas available
Please find the link to the Zoom online conference room in your email edition of the newsletter for joining remotely or on your BetterImpact homepage. You can sign up for upcoming members' meetings in BetterImpact to log your meeting time automatically.
Tnx es 73,
VE7DET || Jessé Neri, President (he|him)
VA7DPO || Darryl Pogue, Vice President (he|him)
Traditional and unceded territories of the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh), and Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilwətaɁɬ) peoples.