VECTOR February 2022 News
Posted in newsletter
Previous newsletters can be found in the archive.
1. Coming Meeting | 2. News | 3. Learn | 4. On Air | 5. Notable | 6. Secondaries | 7. Meetings
1. Coming Meeting
Our next members' meeting will be held Wednesday, February 2, online using Zoom.
We meet to: To confirm 2022 path for Field Day, drills, and mini-exercises.
Afterward, we will:
- Have a target for Field Day
- Pick dates for exercises and drills
- Understand our internal volunteering opportunities in February and March
2. Community News - What’s Coming
- Disaster Response Routes identification program discontinued
- VECTOR COVID-19 Update
- Step 1 - Map Your Neighbourhood
- Tips using Loomio
- Overcoming Vaccination Verification Challenges
- What is readiness in VECTOR?
- Earthquake Scenarios Talk - Recording Available
- Understanding Risk BC 2021 Speaker Videos Ready
- VECTOR denied grants 2022; try again 2023
- VECTOR Winlink Gateway Active - 441.025 MHz simplex
Disaster Response Routes identification program discontinued
Authorities will now use other methods to clarify who gets to use Disaster Response Routes after activating the route restrictions. Details attached to newsletter.
VECTOR COVID-19 Update
Current update edited for latest information.
Step 1 - Map Your Neighbourhood
Join DEEP in a workshop Monday. Community resilience starts when you know each other and understand what resources you all bring together.
Tips using Loomio
Introducing a simpler way for VECTOR to work together far apart.
Overcoming Vaccination Verification Challenges
VECTOR’s readiness for activations depends VEMA knowing which volunteers are proven ready. Let’s overcome any blockages in VEMA’s process.
What is readiness in VECTOR?
Being ready to serve our community includes being ready to serve in-person during a disaster at VECTOR’s on-site radio stations around the City.
Earthquake Scenarios Talk - Recording Available
Dr. Tiegan Hobbs shared with VECTOR upcoming public models that help us understand earthquake impacts particular to Vancouver.
Understanding Risk BC 2021 Speaker Videos Ready
See interesting talks to help us build how we understand disaster preparedness and community resilience presented during the one-day event.
VECTOR denied grants 2022; try again 2023
The commission gave us a few homework assignments so we can be ready for the next round of funding. Let’s get some hands-on work done in the meantime
VECTOR Winlink Gateway Active - 441.025 MHz simplex
Practice your Winlink using VECTOR’s upgraded gateway.
VECTOR COVID-19 Update - Volunteers Vaccinated
- Response - December 29
- Golden Rules
- Restrictions Updated - December 24
- BC Plan updated December 17
- Community centres serve as example for how to behave at all city sites: wear masks indoors, carry your VECTOR Identification and BC Vaccine Card
Use Jitsi for pop-up meetings when you need to share screens
Thank you for being a protector for people in our communities who could suffer from the impacts of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Dr. Bonnie Henry, BC Provincial Health Officer:
“Be kind, be calm, and be safe.”
How do you want to help?
Moving gear around to support DSA work
One of the DSAs suffered from flooding during the super atmospheric river last autumn. We need volunteers to help with moving stuff from ECOMM to COMMS-1 to get the DSA restored.
Give as much commitment as fits your life as a helper to finish jobs
Please respond to the 2021 survey so we can make finding cool, meaningful volunteer work easier for you.
3. Upcoming Training & Practice Opportunities
- Review Learning Program
- Dive into Exercises
- Radio Skills - Register now
- Tech Nights
- Net Control - Email Andrew VA7YAA
- Key Files
- EmComm Skills Notes
4. On Air Radio Activities
Connect Casually Any Night - 19:05 nightly on VE7RVF
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
- Members have run these nets for over 520 nights (since 2020-04-01) (except for 2021-07-25 when there was no net controller available)
- Please take your shot leading as net controller for one night
- Nightly Net Controller chooses a question or topic to inspire sharing (anything from radio to food to entertainment to no topic at all)
- Connect to around 15 fellow operators (from 8 to 35 people any day)
- Remember to identify your signal
- your call sign at both the beginning and end of each period of communication
- per RBR-4 — Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the Amateur Radio Service section 9.3
- even a casual net gives time to practice good procedures
Practise with VECTOR Winlink Gateway - 441.025 MHz simplex
- Give it a shot Time Estimate: 15 minutes
Keep Formal Net Skills Sharp on Weekly Net - 20:00 weekly on Wednesdays, VE7TEL
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
Checking in on Wednesdays stretches a few less-used skills. Details below in 6. Weekly Nets.
How ready are you for bi-monthly drills?
Time Estimate: 2 hours
- Opportunity to do an exercise every other month on VECTOR gear
- How much would you like to cross-train with ESS or NEAT on a couple?
[Connect to the Drills and Exercises Team][mailRocky] [mailRocky]: mailto:[email protected]?subject=Upcoming%20On-air%20Activities?
5. Announcements, Notables, etc.
VE7SAR Communicator - Amateur news edited by former VECTOR president John Schouten
Get to know other members on air - Nightly Check in and Chat
6. Weekly Net
Catch the weekly net at 20:00 every Wednesday on the VE7TEL repeater: VECTOR channel 2, 145.170 MHz -600 kHz.
Each week, a secondary net follows on a different frequency, providing opportunities for amateur radio operators to test radios using other bands and modes of operation.
Schedule for upcoming secondary net frequencies:
|February 02||44||146.430 MHz|
|February 09||20||147.200 MHz +600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
|February 16||7||147.450 MHz T100.0 Hz simplex|
|February 23||4||146.580 MHz simplex|
|March 02||1||145.450 MHz -600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
7. Monthly Members' Meetings
VECTOR gathers on the first Wednesday of the next 3 months to keep its operations flowing. Connect in our Zoom virtual space unless otherwise noted.
The next 3 Monthly Members' Meeting dates:
- January 05 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
- February 02 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
- March 02 - first week, 18:30 online
Connect with others before and after the main session:
- Join early (15 minutes) at 18:15
- Hang around after (20 minutes) until roughly 20:50
- We’ll have breakout areas available
Please find the link to the Zoom online conference room in your email edition of the newsletter for joining remotely or on your BetterImpact homepage. You can sign up for upcoming members' meetings in BetterImpact to log your meeting time automatically.
Tnx es 73,
VE7DET || Jessé Neri, President (he|him)
VA7DPO || Darryl Pogue, Vice President (he|him)
Traditional and unceded territories of the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh), and Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilwətaɁɬ) peoples.