VECTOR May 2022 News
Posted in newsletter
Previous newsletters can be found in the archive.
1. Coming Meeting | 2. News | 3. Learn | 4. On Air | 5. Notable | 6. Secondaries | 7. Meetings
1. Coming Meeting
Our next members' meeting will be held Wednesday, May 4, online using Zoom.
Detailed agenda included in e-mail to members.
2. Community News - What’s Coming
- Planning Field Day 2022
- VECTOR COVID-19 Update - Week 112
- Planning active drills for 2022
- Civic and Special Events Likely in 2022
Planning Field Day 2022
Vision and direction for Field Day recovering from the pandemic.
VECTOR COVID-19 Update - Week 112
Current update edited for latest information, 2022-04-28.
Planning active drills for 2022
Crew planning first 2022 exercise on Thursday nights. Room for you.
Civic and Special Events Likely in 2022
Complex and major civic special events are planning for 2022. City anticipates high likelihood for outdoor events to proceed – pending public health notices.
How do you want to help?
Making sure Field Day works out
We have all the gear and need 5 people to work out some of the nuances and make sure all the pieces land in their proper place. Watch for special meeting. Sign up
Organizing Special Event Operations
We need 5 people to make sure we are set for civic events (COL, Pride, maybe more). Watch for special meeting. Sign up
Preparing CERV Gear for transfer to new rig
We need 3 people to get ready for moving the gear to the new platform next year. Watch for special meeting. Sign up
Forming a regular crew for working on tech
Logistics needs to resume working on keeping the gear going. Watch for the special meeting.
Resuming work on the Microwave Link (High-speed Data) project
We have much of the gear, just need a few parts and three people to make it happen.
Outfitting Laptops for Deployment
The 2022 laptops await new operating system images and testing.
Give as much commitment as fits your life as a helper to finish jobs
Please respond to the 2021 survey so we can make finding cool, meaningful volunteer work easier for you.
3. Upcoming Training & Practice Opportunities
- Review Learning Program - New Schedule coming pending Volunteer Hosts
- Dive into Exercises - New Schedule coming pending new crew, meeting in April
- Radio Skills - Register now
- Net Control - Email Andrew VA7YAA
- Key Files
- EmComm Skills Notes
Holding for interest
- Tech Nights
- Voice Operator Practice
- Operator School in One Day
- Grab and Go Kit Hands On
- Data Setup, Get Started, and Play
- Radio Room Awareness
- DSA Awareness
4. On Air Radio Activities
SARC Foxhunt Saturday - 2022-05-07 09:00
Connect Casually Any Night - 19:05 nightly on VE7RVF
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
- Members have run these nets for over 520 nights (since 2020-04-01) (except for 2021-07-25 when there was no net controller available)
- Please take your shot leading as net controller for one night
- Nightly Net Controller chooses a question or topic to inspire sharing (anything from radio to food to entertainment to no topic at all)
- Connect to around 15 fellow operators (from 8 to 35 people any day)
- Remember to identify your signal
- your call sign at both the beginning and end of each period of communication
- per RBR-4 — Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the Amateur Radio Service section 9.3
- even a casual net gives time to practice good procedures
Practise with VECTOR Winlink Gateway - 441.025 MHz simplex
- Give it a shot Time Estimate: 15 minutes
Keep Formal Net Skills Sharp on Weekly Net - 20:00 weekly on Wednesdays, VE7TEL
Time Estimate: 30 minutes
Checking in on Wednesdays stretches a few less-used skills. Details below in 6. Weekly Nets.
How ready are you for a June drill?
Time Estimate: 1 hour
- Opportunity to do an exercise every third month on VECTOR gear
- Updated schedule pattern and duration coming up
- How much would you like to cross-train with ESS or NEAT on a couple?
5. Announcements, Notables, etc.
BCARCC AGM 2022-05-15 at 10AM on Zoom - Official Notice
Live Disaster Support Hub Field Exercise - DEEP at Dunbar Salmonberry Days 2022
VE7SAR Communicator - Amateur news edited by former VECTOR president John Schouten
Get to know other members on air - Nightly Check in and Chat
6. Weekly Net
Catch the weekly net at 20:00 every Wednesday on the VE7TEL repeater: VECTOR channel 2, 145.170 MHz -600 kHz.
Each week, a secondary net follows on a different frequency, providing opportunities for amateur radio operators to test radios using other bands and modes of operation.
Schedule for upcoming secondary net frequencies:
|May 04||44||146.430 MHz|
|May 11||20||147.200 MHz +600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
|May 18||7||147.450 MHz T100.0 Hz simplex|
|May 25||4||146.580 MHz simplex|
|June 01||1||145.450 MHz -600 kHz T100.0 Hz|
7. Monthly Members' Meetings
VECTOR gathers on the first Wednesday of the next 3 months to keep its operations flowing. Connect in our Zoom virtual space unless otherwise noted.
The next 3 Monthly Members' Meeting dates:
- June 01 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
- July 06 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
- August 03 - first Wednesday, 18:30 online
Connect with others before and after the main session:
- Join early (15 minutes) at 18:15
- Hang around after (20 minutes) until roughly 20:50
- We’ll have breakout areas available
Please find the link to the Zoom online conference room in your email edition of the newsletter for joining remotely or on your BetterImpact homepage. You can sign up for upcoming members' meetings in BetterImpact to log your meeting time automatically.
Tnx es 73,
VE7DET || Jessé Neri, President (he|him)
VA7DPO || Darryl Pogue, Vice President (he|him)
Traditional and unceded territories of the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh), and Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilwətaɁɬ) peoples.